Question: ‘Can a Christian consider a career in acting / entertainment’ – in Church?
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..
William Shakespeare (excerpt from As You Like It 2/7)
Play-acting pervades all of life. If the question is allowed a broader spectrum (For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 1 Cor 5:21), then ‘a career in acting / entertainment’ may make for deception and hypocrisy in Christendom. What evidenced as sins in the early Church (Rev 1-4), is now naturalised by a Church presenting a different gospel, a different spirit and another Jesus (2 Cor 11:4; Gal 1; Matt 13:25). Blind allegiance aside, the church – individual and corporate – need be scrutinized of its intent, content, means, results and repercussions.
Let’s sample these few for a start.
- “Marjoe.” Dir. Howard Smith, Sarah Kernochan. Perf. Marjoe Gortner. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, 1972. DVD;
- “Secrets of the Vatican” Frontline PBS online 25 Feb 2014. [Parental Guidance advised]
- Paul Rosenberg, “America’s own Taliban. A fast growing right-wing politico-religious presence plans to implement an end-times, Christian theocracy in the US.” America’s own Taliban. Opinion. Al Jazeera English. 28 Jul 2011. Web. 1 Mar 2014
- Ruth Moon, “Founder of World’s Largest Megachurch Convicted of Embezzling $12 Million.” Gleanings ChristianityToday.com online 24 Feb 2014. [Christianity Today & Huffington Post Report on David Yonggi Cho Scandal];
- [$50m fraud] “Trial of City Harvest Church leaders resumes” The Straits Times. online 13 Jan 2014. http://www.straitstimes.com/chc_funds_case
- Celebrity pastors are selling their pulpits for commercial gain http://www.pajamapages.com/celebrity-pastors-are-selling-their-pulpits-for-commercial-gain/
- CHCP – Christian Healing Certification Program (Total cost $5,100) http://globalawakening.com/schools/chcp
- JohnTheBaptistTV “False spirits invade the church: Kundalini Warning by Andrew Strom. Part 1” YouTube. Online. Uploaded 5 Jul 2010. Web. 22 Jan 2012.
- Religious leaders highlight significance of water at WCC assembly — World Council of Churches. November 2013 A symbolic act of pouring water into one common vessel, carried out by religious leaders representing Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist faiths, marked the significance of water in various religious traditions. This action took place at the World Council of Churches (WCC) 10th Assembly, currently underway in Busan, Republic of Korea.
The irony here is that the hypocrisy is real sans play-acting.
It also need be known that Scripture itself sets the premise to expose false apostles and deceitful workers. Paul in guarding His flock with godly jealousy exposed the charlatans of his day. Ephesians 4:14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!…12 But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works/
Further study: Ezekiel 34 Irresponsible Shepherds; The Book of Jude: The Judgment on False Teachers; Old and New Apostates; Apostates Depraved and Doomed; Apostates Predicted; Rev 1-3 The 7 Churches: The Loveless, The Presecuted, The Compromising, The Corrupt, The Dead, The Faithful & The Lukewarm.
So, ‘Can a Christian consider a career in acting / entertainment’ – in Church?
PS We have 66 books canonized as Holy scripture that suffices for the ‘whole counsel of God’ yet how much do we make a sincere study of it like the saints of Berea that Paul commended? To focus or make a foray into isolated issues, at the expense of good sound doctrine, is something that even Moses, the Prophets and the apostles hardly do, let alone the vast warnings. These subjects are prone to deviate. We ought to concerntrate on mainstream theology. There is never too little to exhaust the so-called basic doctrines of the faith unless pride says otherwise.
See Other Answers: http://ebible.com/questions/1598?ori=31849